Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Eagle Rock Rocks

On Friday, I went with Noey to see Atlas Sound at the Eagle Rock Center for the Arts (http://www.centerartseaglerock.org/). Still not totally clear on where Eagle Rock is, but it's not that far from my place. And strangers, this "center" is awesome. It's basically a high school gym slash church, with a stage in front of a GIANT dramatic window and a makeshift bar with people selling strange beers I've never heard of. Most of the people there looked like 18 year old high school seniors, looking for something to do on a Friday night.

Atlas Sound is what Deerhunter frontman Bradford Cox has been calling his solo work since he was 10 and the show was wonderful. I don't know that I could pick out specific "hits," but his voice is so special and he does everything himself on stage and had a lovely rapport with the audience. I was in a trance. It was good.

Here are some unrelated songs I like today:

1) "California" by Delta Spirit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gRn3_9p8w) Did I already post this song? Whatever I love this band. They're a California band (I loved Matt Vasquez's LA diet http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/2011/02/delta_spirits_matt_vasquez_for.html) that did a long stint in Brooklyn and it's nice to have them singing a song called "California" rather than one called "Bushwick Blues" for selfish reasons. This song is definitely more "pop" for them than I am used to, though they've toyed with this beat before and Vasquez's voice is always unique and undeniable. Excited for the new album.

2) School of Seven Bells' new song that I heard in my car on 88.5 and didn't catch the name of. What is their new song called, Strangers? Seriously, I It was so M83-does-a-ballad! I dug it!

3)"Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I&ob=av2e) So this song sounds a little Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros meets Mumford & Sons, but I like it, and I think it's elevated by the female singer's voice. She's kinda Kate Nash meets Dolores O'Riordan. I like to meet things today.

No comments:

Post a Comment