Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesongs

It's hard to be creative about posting music on a Tuesday, OKAY? But, that said, it's easy to find actual tunes to type about. If I was being completely honest with you, my tiny little strangers, I would confess that for the past 2-5 days, I have just been listening to Sharon Van Etten's "Love More" on repeat (hey! I alternate between her version and Justin Vernon's, OKAY?), but in an attempt to appear slightly less pathetic than usual, I will offer up some more varied melodies. Also, I am going to see Sharon in real life at the Avalon in March! The Avalon is cool (http://www.avalonhollywood.com/) and I haven't been since Mason Jennings 2006 (oh God, I am old). She's playing with War on Drugs and I like that dude too. Anyway, here we go:

1) "Burial" by Miike Snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N-XckisnpM&ob=av2e) I was at my friend/neighbor/hero Jason's house the other evening, and this song came on. I was only ever familiar with "Animal," which I dug, but this song is much more ME. I don't know why. However, when I said aloud, "I love this song," my friend Jon immediately responds "I KNEW you'd love this song." I don't know if he was insulting me maybe, but at least he GETS me, right?

2) "All I Need" by Radiohead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4APDrl66s) So sometimes I ignore the later Radiohead albums. For me, The Bends is IT. Like, that album is so melodic and has such a rich story to every song and I'm sorry, I am a very literal person and Thom Yorke is so cerebral sometimes and I feel shut out of his deep, dark head and it makes me sad. So that album is extremely accessible. But when I really listened to In Rainbows, I realized it is actually a very raw album emotionally and this song, with it's building background, ripped me right open. In a good way.

3) "Creature Fear" by Bon Iver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdburO6YWe8) Lately, I've been getting all kinds of mushy about my love Justin all over again. I mean I was super all about him over the Summer with that recent album but then you start listening to him all the time and especially if you're in between romantic partners, you just get fucking depressed. But Bon Iver's back on my radar right now and I just rediscovered this JAM with its rocking chorus and it made me happy. Soon to be depressed, but happy, for now. Oh also Justin, don't worry, I know you're dating Kathleen Edwards and I can totally hear your influence all over her album and I will totally back off for now but like, see you in 5 years.

4) "Bye Bye Bye" by Plants and Animals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ofb73U9ow) So this band is GOOD, but I always forget them because, I don't know, I'm a bitch. Anyway, I saw them live at the Troubadour back in the day, and I hadn't heard this song yet and I was like THIS COVER IS SO GOOD because it sounds like an old song, right? BUT I AM PRETTY CERTAIN THEY WROTE IT. And that's rad. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. God, it's good. It's like Cat Stevens and Queen made a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment