Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekend of Eating

Strangers, I ate a lot this weekend. On Friday, Emily and I sampled The York in Highland Park (http://www.theyorkonyork.com/). Where is Highland Park, you ask? I really haven't the foggiest...Em drove and I felt like it was somewhere by Glendale? It's not far from Silverworld and definitely next to Eagle Rock. Anyway, after getting over my annoyance that you have to order everything at the bar and then stalk people until you get a table (probably got over this because we got a table with relative ease), I took in the very cool atmosphere and then the DELICIOUS food. I had a Kickin' Mule, which is just a really good Moscow Mule as far as I could tell, followed by a tequila drink with something grapefruit-like in it...so amazing. The most incredible thing we got were the Siracha wings. We made a huge mess and I was grateful that most of the patrons at the York were hipstery gay dudes and therefore not paying attention to me taking a bath in red hot sauce. We also got a great Caesar salad and a skirt steak with a lovely Chimichurri sauce on it. Mmmmm.

Saturday, I didn't do anything wild food-wise (but did walk the reservoir with Anna, who came to me from the Westside because I love her, and it was gorgeous as always, and then went to a very cool concert at my friend Kira's loft in Little Armenia...I KNOW. HIP). Sunday, I started out my day at Millie's with Noey (http://www.yelp.com/biz/millies-cafe-los-angeles). Again, there was an incredible concentration of stylish gay-man couples. Noelia said she felt cool by proximity (even though she's already pretty rad all alone) and I agreed that I did too. So I ordered a rosemary pork chop and two eggs over-easy, because that's what cool people do, right? Noelia had an insane Benedict thing.

Then I walked again with Em, so like, I did move my body over the weekend. We ran into our friend Alison and her delightful chum Zoe and it felt very neighborhoody and warm. And I saw this cute found-art:

Afterwards, we did laundry at Silverlake Suds (not to be cool; they removed the machines from my building because of flooding...okay fine, I had a SMALL Josh Hartnett from 40 Days and 40 Nights fantasy, but dismissed it immediately). It's a good place to do laundry: clean, fast, cheap. THEN, Em and I went to our old standby, Mae Ploy, and got a little wild. Like, it was just two of us and THIS happened:

The waitress actually SAID something to us along the lines of "are you bitches kidding with all of this food?". To be fair to myself, I had a lot of leftover stuff for lunch today. What you are looking at is papaya salad with dried shrimp, garlic and pepper beef, cashew chicken, chicken satay, pad see iew, and a crap ton of rice. Oh and me cowering in my jean jacket in the corner. So that's mostly what I did this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment