Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday Melodies

Hiiiiiii, here are some songs for today!

1) "Half Light II (No Celebration)" by Arcade Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWliEQRTFg) Sometimes I ignore the fact that this album came out and that it was AWESOME and won that important Grammy or something. Weirdly, I went to high school with the Butler brothers (NOT in Canada...they are Canadians, but went to boarding school in New Hampshire with nerds like me). I remember they used to perform at these rock assemblies that we had and even then, they liked suspenders and sounded fantastic. Anyway, I am just telling you I am famous by proximity and that Arcade Fire is the real deal.

2) "Magic" by Ladyhawke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3t6dDyXHg) So first of all, if you haven;t seen the movie Ladyhawke with Matthew Broderick and Michelle Pfeiffer and Rutger Hauer then you haven't LIVED. Second, I typically think this band is a bit MUCH, but this is one of my favorite songs to dance around my apartment alone to. It's got this Gothic, dramatic quality to it, but this is just a great, 80's-style pop song.

3) "Wait" by M83 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uBFX7gOuA) Yeah, still not over this concert. The only real version of this song I could find on youtube is paired with images from some show on the CW called The Secret Circle and for that, I apologize, but you have to hear this song. Soon it won't be cool to like M83, because "Midnight City" is already running in a Victoria's Secret commercial and getting airtime on mainstream radio, so get into this now while it's still relatively hip. Honestly, this song is heartbreaking enough as a recording, but live it was nothing short of revelatory. It KILLED me. So, this is me, zombie stranger, telling you to go out and buy this whole album right now.

PS Song: "I'll Be Your Lover Too" by Van Morrison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_oz-wUFmk) This Thanksgiving in Woodstock was VERY Van Morrison-heavy. To be fair, I became obsessed with this song after watching Proof of Life, Taylor Hackford's turdy movie where Meg Ryan met Russell Crowe. Russell does look REAL good in a tank top though. Anyway, this is a sexy/lazy/tumbler of whiskey tune for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment