Friday, October 28, 2011

It's SCARY That I like These Songs...

Happy almost-Halloween! Halloween is a holiday I like for NO REASON because I always end up looking weird in my costume and something strange/bad always happens to me during this particular weekend. But hey, I get to wear my fake glasses outside (or in my office. Right now) and drink a lot and gorge on candy because, like, I'm supposed to. Anyway, to celebrate this joyous weekend of costimes and consumption, here are a few songs that I should be embarassed to like to the point where I fear myself, and yet I don't really:

1) "You Love Me" by Kelly Clarkson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pikf1UyXKuw). I kind of love that Kelly was the first American Idol winner but she kind of let herself go and favors sweatpants over ballgowns and is all sort of "damn the man!" while continuing to churn out cheesy pop tunes. She's kind of the ultimate hipster, the way she plays with irony. Anyway, this song is off her new album and it is so rad in how 80's it is. Also, I like that the song is called "You Love Me," but is all about a dude who treats Kelly like doody.

2) "Going Under" by Evanescence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhqVtpR2ts&ob=av2e). You guys, I'm being totally serious. I really like this song. So okay, this movie came out a couple of years ago called Tristan and Isolde, starring James Franco with like, the weirdest curly-swirly wig EVER and an incredibly sexytime Henry Cavill pre-Tudors and Superman. The movie was complete poo, BUT it had this really erotic trailer where after the chick is all "I'll pretend it's you," when she's about to sex this other dude that Tristan won her for accidentally (I mean, it's a pretty famous story), this jam kicks in and is wildly effective. Omg FINE don't believe me, but watch the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAJJay0Uv4M. You are welcome.

3) "Resistance" by Muse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPE9uSFFxrI&ob=av2n). I am aware that this playlist is now spinning wildly out of control, but I am just trying be brutally honest with you guys. This is what blogging is all about. So, Muse is a STUPID band. Like, that Starlight song is fine and there's this one other old one that is sort of dirty-sexy, but mostly they are these pesudo-Goth, pseudo-glamrock, pseudo-cool guys that think they're creating these epic, eternally poignant anthems when really they're just extremely poor man's (we're talking no shoes and homeless) Queen smushed together with something else. That being said, this is probably their most embarassing song and I totally enjoy it.

4) "The Story of Us," by Taylor Swift (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN6VR92V70M&ob=av2e). I totally have a weird fascination with Swifty. She is this 22-year old woman-bagillionaire who sings about love like she's a 7th-grader who's never been to second base. Seriously, even Mandy Moore sang about making love on the floor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhN1K59V-BI). Also, she has had like, 50 boyfriends, right? Like does she not bang them? I'm sorry, but is she trying to tell me all John Mayer ever did was "lead her up the stairwell"? Did he just spin around and head right back down the stairs after that? But as sad as all of this is, there is something incredibly relatable about all of Taylor's lyrics. Like sure, I want a dude to drop everything now and meet me in the pouring rain and kiss me on the sidewalk and take away my pain (maybe not in the rain, my naturally curly hair would not like that). This song off her most recent album I find really representative of everything Taylor Swift stands for, plus, the video is Swifty doing a "Hit Me Baby One More Time"-thing without a hint of self-mocking or awareness.

Okay I have to go be alone now...enjoy your Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment