Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Two for Tuesday...

I'm in sort of a MOOD today...not necessarily a bad one; I am just all think-y and wistful. Anyway, I bet if you listen to these songs you'll get where I am coming from...and maybe join me in my place of mellow contemplation:

1) "I Will Light You On Fire" by Golden Shoulders (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHxxOdziNlc&feature=related). First of all, I LOVE the title of this song; it's romantic and murderously psychotic at the same time. Second, this song does something I am obsessed with, which is where verses are layered on top of each other. I don't think they're singing in a canon per se, but multiple voices are going all at once and it sounds PRETTY.

2) "Runner Ups" by Kurt Vile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnrB3UEoZDc). I saw Kurt Vile and the Violators perform a few months ago, and he really knocked my socks off. He's like a rockstar from a different era playing this very intense garage rock interspersed with these extremely gentle moments. Also, he looks like a 15-year-old from Seattle, but Vile's voice is this incredibly mature and haunted wail (maybe like the baby of Willie Nelson and Trent Reznor? No?) and I just love it. This song is sad. But GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment