Monday, July 23, 2012

Strange Visitor

...Jokes! She's not strange, she's one of my college besties Elisha and she came to visit me from NYC this weekend! Lil' Strangers, we did it up.

Well, first of all, Friday Kalen hosted a concert featuring some of the bands that appeared on his and Noelia's web series, Knock n' Rock (www.knockandrock.com) at my friends Kira and Max's home/performance space, Yeaheavy (www.yeaheavy.com). IT WAS SO PRECIOUS. The bands were GREAT (3 1/2 sounds like a funky Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Coyol has this beautiful folksy sound and features two of the most attractive/vocally talented humans I've ever beheld and I missed the third band, but I've seen them on the show and they're AWESOME). The atmosphere was wonderful and I had a BLAST.

Anyway, I scooped Elisha at the airport Saturday and we headed to meet Brett and Kyle for brunch at Brick and Mortar in Santa Monica (http://brickandmortarla.com/). Okay so like, the food was FINE (to be fair, I got a salad), but the atmosphere is nice and they have $15 bottomless mimosas and a bloody Mary bar and I was just so happy to see my bud. Afterwards, Kyle, Beesh (Elisha's nickname), and I drove to Carbon Beach in Malibu for some of the most glorious weather I've seen in a long time. We all passed out for a solid half-hour until I had to pee so badly that I woke myself up. Then it was time for my friends Melanie and Brian's joint birthday party at Brian's ranch in Topanga Canyon.

Melanie is this tiny firecracker with a giant, warm smile and is one of like 5 living humans who can pull off high-waisted jeans. Brian is Melanie's gentle, mountain-man boyfriend who lives in this Utopian Topanga paradise in this little, fabulously decorated cottage on stilts that features an absurd view. There are vegetable and herb gardens, adorable dogs everywhere, cute babies, and horses. This is the picture I took:


Okay, so maybe I should've focused on like, people, and the canyon, but Giraffe here was just really compelling. He is this ginormous, loopy horse that will have an entire conversation with you and then pose for photos. Love him.

After Topanga, Elisha and I cleaned up at my place and then went to this house party in Los Feliz with some friends. You guys, it was like Can't Hardly Wait. I'm serious; this party was epic. I guess ten dudes live in this mansion with a huge, multi-level backyard. There was a DJ (some great 90's rap, but also a lot of confusing, random stuff causing me to dance in ten minute bursts). This pic does not do justice to how large this fiesta felt:


Yeah, no. No justice. Anyway, afterwards my friend Jeff (thanks Jeff!!) drove us to El Flaming Taco, my favorite Silverlake taco truck and the truck owners judged me because I asked for "a burrito without the burrito" (sure, that sounds a little confusing).  It was a fantastic night.

On Sunday Elisha woke up super-early, still being on East coast time and so I sent her to Intelligentsia to get coffee and feel overwhelmed by hipsters in fedoras. Then we decided to walk to Little Dom's in Los Feliz for brunch and discovered that the Los Feliz street fair was happening:


Freaky! We just kept right on walking. At brunch I had steak and eggs and we took down some lovely brunchtime drinks. Afterwards it was time for Barnsdall Park (http://www.barnsdall.org/) where I've NEVER BEEN. You guys, this part is right at Vermont and Hollywood. Like, it's stupid I haven't been there. It's an "art park," so they do wine tastings and stuff and there's a museum there, but this Sunday it was just a bunch of friends, my ipod, and some drinks:


So pretty, no? Also, I know it looks like all of my friends are posing, but really they're just that good looking and Elisha just likes stretching, Jon likes reclining, Rob likes contemplating, and Grey likes sitting like a dad in a tank. Anyway we hung out for hours until I was beginning to become a little red and we called it a day. I was just sad the weekend was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment