Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Silver Bells!

This post title has nothing to do with this post. But guys, this might be the last time I blog at you before the New Year as I am traveling back to my homeland of New York City. I know, you are sad.

ANYWAY, I've been listening to the new Black Keys album El Camino a lot, and I've decided I really like it. I do miss their rougher, more bluesy roots (and think it's really dumb and WEIRD that Dan Auerbach said that Patrick Carney "doesn't even like blues music" in that NY Times article), like in "The Lengths," "10AM Automatic," and "Psychotic Girl." However, I am super-digging some of the new stuff, especially the second half of "Little Black Submarines," "Gold on the Ceiling," and the B-side of the "Lonely Boy" single, "Run Right Back." Listening to the Keys so much is bringing me back to the days when I was obsessed with Southern rock and yes, Kings of Leon. I remember being a young girl of 23, watching them play at Coachella for the first time as the sun went down. Sigh. Anyway, that's the kind of music I am listening to today:

1) "True Love Way" by Kings of Leon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp2KNuntzEQ) I wish so fucking hard this band still sounded this way. I remember the first time I heard this song, I think I was in the car of this dude I had a painful secret crush on and he played it and I just immediately thought "Oh cool, I love you." It was so rough and 70's and rocking, but still so romantic and yearn-y and builds to just this big, classic, great love song. Ahh, it is still so good!

2) "Fires" by Band of Skulls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fxykGHHYkM) This is another band that blew me away at Coachella years ago. Guys, this album is so SO good. Have they made a new album yet? I don't know, but this song is kitschy and sexy and fantastic.

3) "This Heart's on Fire," by Wolf Parade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xq4o-kE-j8&feature=related) Okay, so I am feeling lovey-dovey today. And being into fire.Weirdly, this was the first song I discovered by Wolf Parade. I just adore that little riff in the background and you KNOW how I feel about this man's voice...erotic. Anytime anyone starts out singing normally and then gets really upset and is yelling and can't control their voice anymore, I get excited. Like in The Wedding Singer. You KNOW what I am talking about.

PS Bye miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment