Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Falalatuesday!

...I'm sorry about this post title. It's meant to be like "fa-la-la, Tuesday," but winds up looking like "Fellate Tuesday," and I am not telling you to blow this day (when in actuality, this day BLOWS), but simply offering up some good jams to make it a little bit brighter. What a gross, run-on sentence that was, right? ANYWAY, here:

1) "Swim Club" by The Cave Singers(http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=endscreen&v=PoKzyr4zMNE&NR=1) I am seeing this band Saturday at the Troub! I haven't been to the Troubadour in so long and honestly, it's my favorite venue. This band plays the kind of comfort music I always come back to: a little folksy, a little country, and a lot of flannel. This song is kind of like The Head and the Heart had a baby with The Avett Brothers. I would really love to go to that fake-family's barbecue.

2) "Starstruck" by Santogold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4vvq2RERQ0) My iTunes actually suggested this song to me after I went on a chill-wave downloading spree. I really dug "Les Artistes" when the album came out, and this song is basically a darker version of that jam, so I am into it.

3) "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcCknHQnZ2M). Okay, confession: I love the shit out of this musical. Like, seen-it-on-stage-5-times, have multiple cast recordings, can sing the whole thing from memory-type of love. It's just SO good with JUST the right amount of cheese (just the right amount = a LOT). When I was little and thought I had the ability to sing, I made my father (Dad, I am sorry) film me in a velvet dress and BERET singing "Castle on a Cloud" and all you can hear is the tape playing the recording of the song and Dad whispering "LOUDER!" from behind the camera. Like, I thought the voice on the recording WAS my voice. I was a dumb kid. Anyway, this particular song I sang in choir, before I grew into my adult voice, which sounds like that of a raspy 12-year-old boy. Oh, they're making a movie of this, so I have it on the brain and am not completely random.

4) "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs). Les Mis reminded me of this one. I mean this song is SO spectacularly weird. Kate Bush is so weird. I love her. Oh, this video is real fun to watch too.

No comments:

Post a Comment