Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Super Strange Memorial Day

Lil' Strangers, so much happened last weekend! I must start earlier in the week when I went to the Trampled by Turtles show at the Music Box, which we have discussed. I know it's a stupid-ish name, but these guys are INCREDIBLE. They're a Minnesota-based band, very bluegrass with a tinge of folk and basically, they're just unbelievable musicians. The fiddler, who wore is hair in braided pigtails and had a giant beard and I loved him, was INSANE-nasty-good. I took a pretty picture:


Yeah we got really close. That little guy looks strangely like Scott Speedman and has the PRETTIEST voice and the stud next to him plays the meanest of mean banjos. They closed with the Band's "The Weight," so obviously, I cried.

Then Noelia's big bday weekend commenced. Saturday, my friend Keith had a "Honky-Tonk BBQ"(I know; it was not PC) in his giant Los Feliz backyard, complete with KFC, a kiddie pool, and a BAND. The band was Falling Still and I am actually friends with the dudes (not-humble brag). They ROCKED it:


They played so loudly, I am sure all of the East side could hear them, but of course, being the East side, no cops came and no one complained. In fact, people started swinging by. One dude came in with his baby because she had been dancing in the bathtub. Yes, she immediately threw herself at me because I am sure she sensed my ticking biological clock and I ended up hanging with baby Annabelle for maybe 15 minutes. HIGHLIGHT. OF. MY. LIFE.

Anyway, after that we wanted to continue the dance-party, so we went over to my lovely pal Jay's and that's just what we did:


This picture is actually extremely representative of how each of these dudes dances. It's amazing to behold.

Then Sunday was the day of days: Noelia's kickball birthday party. Noey, Emily, Sarah, and I got to the field in Silverlake at 12. The party started at 3. So we got a LOT of sun. Anyway, we played DRINKING kickball, meaning you have to do everything with a drink in one hand. I was not good. No really, Noelia will tell you. I am also left-handed and decided to hold my drink in my LEFT hand because, you know, I knew I wasn't going to be using it to play sports. I made a run though! I also played catcher, so I totally got to talk some smack to the other team (okay, I shyly encouraged them and then laughed when they fell down). LISTEN, Em didn't even pretend to want to play so like, be proud of me!

Then, DUH, we went to Jay's for pizza and cornhole (a weird bean bag game) and dancing and hugging. Look at the bday lady and our friend Christopher:


Awww. Then I was dancing too hard to take anymore pics really, but I did catch Noelia having a snack:


Nutrition! Monday consisted of a hangover walk with Anna into pho into a glorious viewing of the Bachelorette. Oh, and look how tough I am:



That is a close-up of my arm and the giant bruise that was growing on it. I say close-up, because my arm looks ginormous there. It's from when I decided to get real tough in the last two minutes of the game. It actually looks worse today. TOTALLY WORTH IT. GOOD STRANGE SILVERLAKE WEEKEND.



No comments:

Post a Comment