Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday Warbling

Guys, I am in a cheesy mood today. All I want to do is listen to romance-based jams and have sexy dreams about Michael Fassbender and Alexander Skarsgard making love to me in ruffly pirate tops. While playing these songs:

1) "Singing in my Sleep" by Semisonic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhS3YP04Fjk) Yeah, you read that right. Semisonic, bitches. So, let's be honest, not the greatest band despite their MASSIVE hit "Closing Time" that was made popular again by that rom-com with Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis that I have secretly paid $9.99 for on-demand several times. But this song weirdly gets me. It's about a mix-tape! I remember making a mix-tape for Nick Grew in the 10th grade and it was all Dispatch and like, "Lover Lay Down" by Dave Matthews Band. He was NOT into it. This is horrifically embarrassing and I considered changing his name but, come on, there are 22 of you reading this. And I pictured him moving to Pluto, so it's fine.

2) "I'm Gonna Wait" by The Temper Trap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ5jCEz3Dw0&feature=related) So The Temper Trap kind of gets trashed a lot (by me) because their hit "Sweet Disposition" played in 500 Days of Summer, and gets thrown in with all the false, cheese-ball tweeness that is and surrounds that film. But I ACTUALLY kind of like that song, and honestly, this band is sort of pretty good. They have a very cool 80's sound, sort of like that band Rome, and the lead singer has a beautiful, unique voice (and a cool face). You should all see them live because they're LEGIT. Also, they're successful; I don't know why I feel the need to champion this band.

3) "Never Going Back Again" by Fleetwood Mac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZKmCQl3vw) Okay, so this one isn't really related to the others, except I LOVE Fleetwood Mac (if you've ever read this blog before, you know this) and this one is kind of different for them. I love the plinky-plunky guitar (yes, that is a valid descriptive term) and the sad, wistful lyrics.

4) "Song For Leigh" by The Walkmen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxnGZPy99Vk) God, this album is good. It really is, don't take my word for it, just go listen to it. I didn't even used to dig The Walkmen really. Anyway, the lyrics on this one are KILLER. "And I sing myself sick about you"? CUTE, WALKMEN! When he sings this line, you can actually hear the dude strain his voice repeating the lyrics...but in a pretty way. Sigh. He was probably wearing a pirate top when he recorded this.

No comments:

Post a Comment