Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Had Proof

Hey Lil' Strangers. So I recently discovered this pretty groovy area adjcent to my apartment and that area is Atwater Village. Located on a little stretch between Los Feliz/Silverlake and Glendale, Atwater is like a slightly less gentrified/slightly more suburban Brooklyn (I can't help that I compare everything to NYC; it's my homeland, it's in my blood and in my volatile demeanor).

Anyway, there are lots of dope places in this hood, some of them too hipstery for me to even try (Strangers, I am just not ready to go to a place called GRAIN, ok? Not yet), but yesterday I tried Proof Bakery (http://proofbakeryla.com/) and was pretty damn impressed.

Proof Bakery in Atwater
So to be honest, when I walked in I was overhwelmed by beautiful pastries and the beautiful bearded guy trying to be a writer in the corner (okay, I'm sorry, he IS a writer). The man who made my capuccino was Asian American with suspenders and earplugs and he did amazing things with foam in my cup while managing to carry on entire, flirtatious conversation about foraging or something with a STUNNING hippie-ish lady with a fro, maxi dress and a shit-ton of jewelry. I just stared at them and thought about how un-unique I was. The coffee is ridiculously good and I should've checked to see what beans they use instead of drooling over another couple's romance, but the strength is similar to Joe: The Art of Coffee in NYC...and that is HIGH PRAISE coming from me.

So Proof also makes sandwiches; there are about 3 on the menu any given day. I got one beet and pesto sandwich and one salami and camembert and they come in induvidual baby baguettes and they are just AWESOME. I can only imagine what those scones taste like. But you guys go try them!

WARNING: This place is very hip and doesn't have like, vanilla syrup. You can get a wonderful agave latte, though. Yeah, I know, pretentious. But delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment