Friday, March 23, 2012

Fridrizzle

It's just a gray day here in Cali, strangers, so I'm in one of my dreamy moods. Join me, thanks.

1) "Skin" by Zola Jesus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzCXx7Ndok) So I first became aware of this lady when she hopped up on the stage during an M83 concert dressed like a cracked-out angel in white and brought the house down. But really she sounds more like the cooler baby of Sia and Florence of Florence and the Machine. This song is one of her more ballad-like tunes and it's haunting and pretty.

2) "The Face" by the Kings of Leon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzzbLK3XOY8) I try to deny that I like anything by the Kings after Aha Shake Heartbreak but when I do that, I am lying. True, the band completely mellowed out and lost their edge and all the songs on Come Around Sundown sound exactly the same, but it's a consistent, solid sameness and I enjoy it. This song builds to a pleasing whine and I will not let you shame me out of liking it!

3) "Amazing Eyes" by Good Old War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlxdqvRsXJg) Okay so this song is almost pure cheese. I LOVE me a good pop-folk ditty and this slides perfectly into that category. Good Old War sounds like a watered-down Tramples by Turtles, if that's even possible. But something about this song super-compels me. I love the harmonies and I love the line "You have amazing eyes; the right one suspicious and the left one wants my love." Ditch that wonky-eyed bitch dude; both of my baby blues want your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment